At Meopham School, all staff, both teaching and support staff, have a responsibility to provide all students with a sufficiently challenging curriculum, along with opportunities to nurture any exceptional talents and abilities they may have. All students have an entitlement to:
- staff commitment to develop their potential to the full at all times
- stimulating and interesting lessons which inform, challenge and develop thinking skills
- personal and social education which prepares them for adult life and the world of work.
High Prior Attainers (HPA) are those students who exceed level 4 at KS2 (level 5 or above).
Meopham School will endeavour to obtain as much information about individual students as possible. The methods used are as follows:
- information from primary schools including KS2 teacher assessments and KS2 SATS
- teacher observation and recommendation
- information from parent/guardians, peers and students themselves
- information from the school’s data manager for students who move into a year group during an academic year.
The provision should aim to include the following:
- all schemes of work planned by heads of departments will include specific materials and ideas which differentiate, enrich and extend tasks to ensure that the curriculum is sufficiently challenging
- all staff will be aware of their role in the identification of more able and talented students based on subject specific criteria
- in-service training will be provided
- opportunities for more able and talented students to work together both in and out of school
- close links between home and school and external agencies where appropriate
- the creation of a register of High Prior Attainers which will be distributed to all departments
- the availability of a learning leader (Ms S Iles) who will offer encouragement, support and guidance.